- The concept of academic guidance:
Academic Advising is defined as a guiding process aimed at providing assistance to the student in all aspects of study, psychology, social and professional, and framing his educational experiences according to his ambitions and abilities, in order to serve the basic objectives of education and to help the student to become an active member. The academic counseling process also contributes to solving the student's problems that hinder the progress of his academic achievement in addition to providing him with positive skills and experience according to the community values.
- Academic Advisor:
It is a member of an educational body that guides the student and helps him to solve his academic problems and improve his educational attainment.
- Objectives of Academic Advising:
- Help the student to recognize his potential, and understand his abilities, tendencies and trends.
- Providing the student with the skill of self-discipline and self-direction, which means bringing him to degrees of self-awareness and his possibilities and a greater understanding of his circumstances and surroundings.
- Achieve compatibility and adaptation for students to perform various functions.
- Study cases of study delays, and work to analyze the causes, and provide help and advice to overcome them, and not fall into them again.
- Providing preventive and developmental guidance services that achieve effectiveness in the field of academic achievement.
- Assist the student in drawing his future plans.
- Making positive changes in the student's behavior patterns towards the cultural, social and professional values of his society, and helping him to make his own decisions.
- Acquainting the student with the credit hours system and the rules of registration, freezing and postponement
- Acquainting the student with the study plan in his college and his specialty.
- Acquainting the student with the system of exams, marks, penalties and the requirements of success and graduation.
- Guiding the student and assisting him in choosing the appropriate courses and the number of hours in each semester.
- Helping the student overcome the obstacles that he faces in his university studies.
- Advise in solving the problems facing the student in his university career.
- Areas of Academic Advising:
- Study Guidance:
It aims to help the student to adapt to the university and his colleagues and the academic system and remove obstacles that delay the achievement of his goal.
- psychological guidance:
Aims to guide the student sound psychological guidance, and develop his energy and abilities to improve his scientific level.
- Social Counseling:
Aims to prepare the student to adapt to his community to enhance his role in the service and development.
- Career Guidance:
Career guidance aims to prepare the student to enter the labor market, by providing him with the necessary skills to be distinguished in the future practice of his profession, and successful in his career.